Friday, April 4, 2014

Spanish Homework

Ally has been really successful in Spanish this year. Her teacher says Ally is the only one who tells her “I love to write in Spanish” . Truth is Ally likes to write in any language – but her spelling in Spanish is stellar.

See this example of the persuasive letter she wrote today:

IMG_6824IMG_6825

Ally decorated the envelope “Parra mi familia  de Ally” and a picture of the 3 of us with a magic tree house, complete with  the tower and telescope like the books she currently loves.

IMG_6826

The letter says “Querido mama, Quiero nuevas crayolas yo no tengo crayol(as) nuevas. Puedo dibujar contigo. Puedo colorear sola tambien.”

In English that means:

Dear Mama,

I want new crayons.  I do not have new crayons.  I can draw with you.  I can also color alone.

Sincerely,
Ally

IMG_6823

Here she is doing her Spanish homework with some help from Becky. Becky has been really great encouraging Ally to speak Spanish at home and reading with her.

Yesterday Ally’s teacher told me that Ally seems so happy in class – is raising her hand, participating, even asking questions – in Spanish! The teacher said its so nice, to have an excited and happy student in class. I’ve gotten the impression from other parents that many classmates don’t really like the Spanish week; they have lots of anxiety about it and really prefer the English week. Ally told me she likes them both.

When we got home yesterday Ally went her her white board and wrote out all of the days of the week in Spanish, spelled correctly! I don’t think she can do that in English yet.

Becky and I are so pleased and proud of her efforts.

No comments: