Thursday, March 12, 2015

Be Your Own Self

There is some 2nd grade girl thing going on. Lots of girls are cutting their hair short. Last year it was bangs. I think 10 girls got bangs in about 3 weeks last year. Ally has always had bangs and likes them so no big deal.

This year it's short hair. Bobs to be exact lots of girls getting a chin length bob. But not Ally. If you ask her about cutting her hair she says "NEVER" or "NO-WAY" she actually wants her hair to grow a bit longer. I am so proud of her for being her own person. 

We talked about that this week in the car one day. What it means to be your own person. I told her I was proud of her and thought it was great that she dress and wear her hair and play games and talk to people she wanted and to not be doing what everyone else wanted. Making your own decisions about your self, how you look and act and not being like everyone else is huge.

Ally is very socially aware. She's not "out there" and she's not a trend setter she is just confident in her own self in a way I don't I ever was and sometimes I don't think I am now. 

It's quite amazing to watch and see and think and hope she can continue to be her own person and not like everyone else.  It may sound strange to say but I envy her confidence that she looks beautiful with long hair and her conviction that she likes long hair even when her peers are rejecting it. She dresses in her own style too. Most of her peers wear jeans and lots wear woven fabrics and blouses. But not Ally. Cotton knit leggings and pants with elastic and knit shirts and dresses. She likes clothes that fit and won't wear anything too big or too small. And the thing is she looks great and people compliment her.  

Today she let me braid her hair. 2 braids; one on each side down her back. 

Here she is, her own person.



No comments: