Saturday, October 29, 2011

Friendship in art

One night Ally was working diligently on a project. Becky was out and it was just Ally and me. I let her keep working on it for a while, when I should have been getting her ready for bed, but sometimes its hard to stop her creative process in progress. I finally let her know it was going to time soon for bed and looked at what she had put together:


She made index cards with her 2 close friends from Pre-School's names on them, and one for herself. Then she taped them together and put the tape loops on the back so she could hang them up.

The pink flower is Ally's interpretation of a rose. I asked her about the project and she told me what the names were (she knows how to spell her friend's names!) and then said she needed to do cards for Adalis and Willow, her 2 new friends in kindergarten! I explained she would need to do that another night, since it was bedtime. She didn't protest much, just hung the 3 cards together above the couch in our living room.

They stayed that way for about a week. Then this weekend she completed the project:


2 new flowers - 1 for Adalis and 1 for Willow.


Thank-you Grandma Debbie for the adorable Halloween cat shirt!



Its fascinating to me that Ally works so independently sometimes and then other times seems incapable of doing anything at all without Becky or me to do it with her. But I realize that is part of being 4 and an only child. Its also really neat that she can start a project and then a week later remember that she wants to finish it and then actually complete it. Love that follow-thru!

No comments: