Monday, December 17, 2012

RIP Spotted

Today Ally’s beloved fish Spotted died. Well to be honest he may have passed yesterday or sometime during the night but I discovered him this morning. Ally is sick, home from school and I was home with her when I found him.

Ally cried and cried and asked if we could get another fish. I of course said yes – she asked to go today to get “another Spotted” back to the same store we got him from. As with our cat who died this summer she wanted to know what would happen to Spotted. I explained that usually you flush the fish down the toilet. She cried even harder at that. So I said we could bury him in the yard underneath the memorial rock for our cat Bryce. She thought that was a good idea and watched as I scooped his dead body out of the bowl and into a Ziploc bag. I double bagged and she asked why. Then proceeded to say she wanted to make a card for him. It calmed her down to do something so she made the card pictured below all by herself and then put the card in the outer bag.

Currently the dead fish and the card are sealed in Ziplocs on top of our microwave oven in the kitchen. Its cold and rainy today – not a good day for grave digging. Same forecast for tomorrow. Hopefully it will warm up and dry off before we leave for Disney World so I can bury him.

What a day a morning or day of mourning.

IMG_9404IMG_9405IMG_9406

I’ll always be with you Spotted

I love you

And yes she made a pop up within the card.

Oh my heart hurt for her. We had him for 18 months. Here is the post about getting him http://www.thelifeofally.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-addition-to-our-family.html 

We did go pick a new fish out today – it’s a bigger one that looks very much like her old one. And yes she is calling him Spotted.

No comments: