Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ornaments

I just need to brag about Becky for a minute. She is SUPER talented with crafty things.

In the picture below, are Ally's three favorite ornaments on our Christmas tree and each one has a special story.


The mouse in the raisin box was made by Becky's maternal grandmother. Dolores never got to meet Ally, but we know she and Grandad are watching with a smile and chuckle. Every year for her church bizarre Dolores would make a mouse themed ornament - well she would make a ton of the same ornament, and when she passed away Becky received the mouse in the raisin box as a memory. Ally loves to point to the mouse and say "raisin...mouse...squeak..squeak". Thanks Dolores.


The Big Bird ornament is part of my ornament collection. Every year from the time I was born until I was 18 my parents bought me an ornament. Each one had something to do with what I was into that year, so the year I took a computer class I got a computer ornament, the first year I played softball I got a softball player ornament, my first clarinet you get the idea... in 1974 I was into Big Bird, so they bought me a Big Bird ornament. Ally likes to point it out on the tree and say in her toddler speak "Beeeeg Buuurd". Thanks mom and dad.


The ornament in the middle was made by Becky, on Saturday in about 3 hours. Yes she created the ornament, from scratch without a pattern. If you can't tell, its a gorilla, and its modeled after the Goodnight Gorilla. We decided to continue my family tradition of an ornament every year for Ally. You all know how much she likes gorillas, so I started looking for a gorilla ornament, and the only ones I could find were breakable, and not really our style. So I casually mentioned to Becky that maybe she could make one. (That is my craft role in our relationship - to suggest, support, cajole and act as gopher when needed.) I think its an awesome gorilla and I know Ally will treasure it as much as I do my childhood ornaments. Thank-you Becky/mama.



1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

How fun. What great ornaments. We've continued the tradition of an ornament for each child every year but never thought about making it related to the interests. That is really cool. Great job on the gorilla. I could tell right away what is was!