Thursday, November 24, 2011

"I roar at them"

The story about these pictures is one of my favorites of all time.

I picked Ally up at school, and as usual she needs to use the bathroom. I have to go into the bathroom with her to push down the water - its an old school building and she cannot push the faucet down to get water by herself - she does not have enough leverage. But I digress...we are in the bathroom and she says "mommy, the boys were chasing us at recess again today" this has been a common statement about recess. So I say "oh - did you try asking them to stop" "yes I did and they don't stop and I don't like it ... but I know how to scare them away" big pause and I wait and Ally follows that with "I roar at them" and she said it with such aplomb and so matter of factly as if that was a perfectly normal solution. I asked if it worked and she told me yes, they were scared of her roar and so then they stopped.


Oh my - I am so proud of her. My amazing, strong, little girl who loves gymnastics and coloring and dinosaurs. She roars at the boys to get them to stop chasing her and her friends. I just love the non-violent solution to her problem.


So later that night we asked Ally to show us her roar.


It is very fierce


the angry eyes


wide open mouth - look closely at Becky in the background



And for Ally the roar is a full body move - she can't stand upright and roar - its a chest forward back arched mouth open eyes squinted or shut mouth loud roar.

Its an impressive sight to see and hear.


And way to go little one learning how to defend yourself.


We are still talking about asking boys politely, and she claims to have tried that and one agreed during classroom time not to chase her and then out on the playground he gave in to peer pressure and chased Ally and her friends anyway. So typical. And so appropriate for this age. But oh so funny.

Happy Thanksgiving

We're happy to be celebrating with Becky's family this year.

No comments: