Monday, November 21, 2011

School Party

This year, now that Ally is in kindergarten she could have a party at school. That means bring in cupcakes for her classmates, and they have a small party for her. She was pretty excited. But that meant we had to make cupcakes, and a cake for her actual birthday, and we had just made fish cupcakes for her party, oh and we made cookies for to celebrate with her afterschool program. Lots of baking!
Ally decided for her actual birthday she wanted a little cake. She requested white frosting and vanilla (white) cake and red decorations on it.
I decided in the interests of my sanity to buy the pre-made colored frosting in a tube. If you can't tell Ally was all over it.

Decorating her own cake at 5 - maybe at 6 she'll bake it too?
I made a small single layer cake of the same kind to share with Stella and her family.
Then the school cupcake decorating factory began. Becky iced.

Ally applied sprinkles
and ate some too
I put them in the carrier.
At school on her birthday. It was pretty cool to walk in and see Ally so engaged in her classroom activity. She didn't even see me come in and even after one of her friends ran over and said "Ally your mom is here" she kept working at her table on her project. I went and sat with her for a while until it was gathering time.
On a student's birthday gathering time is about the birthday child. The teacher says something nice about him/her and then passes a talking object (it was a wooden door knob on Ally's birthday) around and each student who gets the knob says something they like about Ally. It was really neat to hear what they said:
Sofia "I like that when I played a game with Ally and I won and Ally lost, Ally did not cry...she is a good sport"
Simon "I like that Ally is not that mean to me"
Lily "I like to play with Ally"
Joanne (one of the teachers) "I like Ally's smile"
Noelle (the lead teacher) "I like that Ally plays with all different students"
Nathen "Ally is nice to me"
Erik "Ally is not mean"
Then it was time to eat the cupcakes! The class sang Happy Birthday in English and Spanish. Then after cupcakes each student made a birthday card for Ally.
It was really very sweet to see each them each make one and bring it to her. Ally had such a nice time. A special treat for Ally was that then we went straight home and she did not have to go to afterschool.

No comments: