Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Decorating for Christmas

The Sunday after Thanksgiving we brought up the ornaments from the basement and decorated the Christmas Tree. Becky and I are a bit “decorated-out” so we are trying to be a bit more laid back about the Holiday decorations this year.

We did get a much larger tree – its 7 1/2 feet tall and the lights switch from white to colored. Which makes everyone happy. I like both, Ally likes colored and Becky likes white. So having the choice is pretty neat.

We had Ally unpack the ornaments and lay them all out on her craft table. Then we loaded up the tree. It is really special to share all of my childhood ornaments with Ally. Like the computer one- and try and explain to her that I took a computer class when computers were invented. Back when I was 10 or so. So I did not grow up with computers or iphones or ipads. Its fun that I have a Big Bird ornament, and Ally has an Ernie ornament. We both liked Sesame Street as young children.

Becky has fond memories of her special ornaments as well, especially the mouse ones her Grandma made.

IMG_2047IMG_2048IMG_2049IMG_2050IMG_2052IMG_2053

After the decorating we went to Church for the first Sunday of Advent. After church was a craft workshop and Ally and I made 4 candles and Becky made our advent wreath. Ally wanted to light all the candles, but Becky explained that we only light 1 new each week. At our church each Sunday of Advent a Sunday School class lights the candle during the service. Last year Ally got to light it.

No comments: