Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pre-Birthday

This week we were hard at work on birthday preparations.

IMG_8823IMG_8822

One night Ally and I worked on re-painting furniture. Our cat Carl scratches the hutch up and so once a year I sand it down and re-paint the damaged area. Its non toxic milk paint and Ally loved helping with the task.

IMG_8839IMG_8843

Most of Ally’s gifts arrived early. We saved the wrapped ones for her to open on the actual day, but we did let her open the gift from her cousins on the 15th. Ally was super excited to open a gift early, I fear she is very much like me in her dislike for surprises and her impatience. The gift was a very cool toy called an Inki-doo. It’s a stuffed animal that you can draw on then wash and re-color. Very cool.

IMG_8847

Then it was time to help mommy with cupcakes for school.

Ally was a big help, scooping the batter into the muffin cups.

IMG_8848IMG_8851

And eating the batter. She loved eating the cake batter.

I have never made so much yellow cake mix and buttercream frosting. No amount of trying worked to talk her into chocolate or any other flavor. This girl knows what she wants so we baked:

Cupcakes for school party

Flower cupcakes for at home

Layer cake for birthday party

IMG_8852IMG_8857

While the cupcakes were baking Ally entertained us with a dance and sing along to the song “Call me Maybe”

IMG_8860IMG_8863

After a bath it was time to decorate the cupcakes.

 

IMG_8864

beautiful

IMG_8867IMG_8868

While Ally slept Becky and I put up some decorations so Ally would wake up to them on her birthday morning.

As excited as Ally is about turning 6 she went to sleep that night a little bit melancholy. She confessed “I just want to stay 5” I asked if she was a little nervous about getting older and she nodded. I explained that 5 was fabulous and 6 would be spectacular! We have been talking recently about what Ally might want to be when she grows up – and so I reminded her that in order to be a paleontologist or a veterinarian or a teacher and a mom she would need to grow up.

She smiled, cuddled in close with her special things in bed and told me “I decided, I want to be a mom and a teacher” I smiled, hugged her and asked “like mama” and she said yes. I reminded her that both of her grandmas were also teachers and moms.

Gosh what a special daughter.

No comments: