Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Gwei Gwei’s Birthday Party

My boss Charlie has a 14 year old daughter, Gwei Gwei. Her mom, Anne is battling lung cancer and is currently in a re-hab facility. Saturday was scheduled to be Gwei’s party. She wanted to have it even though her mom was unable to be there. So a bunch of Charlie’s friends pitched in and made it happen.  I was in charge of planning and project assignments. We missed Anne very much, and were sorry she could not join us.

Gwei asked for a string maze to the goody bags and cupcakes in cones. Everything else was up to us.

I had never made the cupcake cones, before, but growing up my mom made them all the time, so I figured if Barb could do it so could I! The request for was 2 kinds, so I made some the night before and the rest the day of.

Oh and the party Saturday Feb 9 – the day of the blizzard!

IMG_0298IMG_0307

I wanted something to display the conecakes in so I got a box, cut holes to fit 10 of them and wrapped in paper. Ally asked if she could decorate the box.

IMG_0309IMG_0310

That is Ally and Gwei.

IMG_0311IMG_0312IMG_0349

Ally with the finished box!

IMG_0350IMG_0354

There was a driving ban in state until 4pm, so the party was rescheduled to start at 5pm and we loaded up the sled with a bag of stuff and Ally while I carried the cone cakes the 6 blocks to Charlie’s house.

IMG_0356IMG_0357

A friend Anne, blew up balloons. Mark put together red paper lanterns.

IMG_0358IMG_0359

Kim and Becky hung streamers, while Ally played on my new ipad!

IMG_0364IMG_0365

We decorated the front hall, stairway, Gwei’s room and the living and dining rooms.

IMG_0366IMG_0367

 

IMG_0701photo

Becky made an awesome string maze. She wove 5 strands of string thru out the living and dining rooms so that each girl had a piece to unravel in order to get to her goody bag. Ally was pretty funny sitting amongst the string, and when it was complete she made several trips back into to get things we forgot or to add to the goody bags.

IMG_2267IMG_0713

It took the girls just over 20 minutes to unwind the string and claim their prizes!

IMG_0369IMG_0370

Ally and I had fun watching. The guests were impressed with the cone cupcakes, and asked Charlie how he made them! He confessed he did not, he asked a friend, me. Gwei was proud to tell her friends that it was her idea to have them.

IMG_2265IMG_2271

Gwei and her dad.

IMG_2274IMG_2279

After the maze it was time for dinner. The plan had been to order chicken fingers and fries from the place across from our house, but with the storm, it and every other take out place we could think of was closed. Whole Foods was open, so when the driving ban was lifted at 4PM I drove Charlie’s SUV and bought frozen and we baked those up and served them to the girls. I don’t think they minded at all.

IMG_2280IMG_2281

That is Kim, a friend and very long time company client, she was in charge of decorations! We left while the girls we eating, and Kim was going to stay and help Charlie with the activities until bedtime, it was a sleep over party.

It was a fun time, and we were all really happy to help out.

IMG_2259[1]IMG_2264[1]

My cupcake cones!

No comments: