Friday, June 26, 2015

Team Week 1

Ally started Team gymnastic practice this week. The first day was brutal. She was very excited and nervous. Practice was 4-7pm. It was an early release day at school, so she had some down time before practice.

IMG_5721

Here she is before practice.

3 hours is a long time. She did great. They had a break after about 2 hours, and she had a smoothie I made at home for her and some pretzels for snack. It was a little heartbreaking to watch her sit alone while the other girls paired off. But to their credit a couple did come say hello to her. She is new, and the youngest member right now, and as she says “I am shy mommy…talking is hard for me” It seemed ok to her. She had a smile on her face and was thrilled all during practice.

After practice she was wiped. Exhausted. I drove her home and she was melting down. I was supposed to go out with friends for dinner, and on the way home she spilled the rest of her smoothie in my car and started to cry. I think she was too tired to hold the thermos. As soon as we got home, Becky came out to meet us. She cleaned up the smoothie and I went in with Ally – who just clung to me sobbing about how tired she was. It was pitiful. I told Ally she didn’t need to keep going if she didn’t want to. The decision was hers. I would not be upset either way. That mama and I just wanted her to be happy.

Becky had a bubble bath ready and waiting and I left them negotiating bath. I felt terrible, and wondered if we were bad parents for letting Ally do this. Maybe it was too much for her.

Becky texted me later that Ally was fine, ate a great dinner and went right to sleep.

Two days later was practice #2. I was a little nervous. But not Ally. She was in a great mood. She had a fantastic practice. Loved every minute of it. Seriously – I don’t think I can describe how amazing it is to watch her having so much fun. She is learning new tumbling and skills each time.

When we got in the car she had such a proud and thrilled look on her face. The picture below is her smiling for me – but its not the same as the inner joy she had un-posed.

IMG_5735

I feel incredibly lucky that Becky and I can support Ally in gymnastics –something that she loves so much and works so hard at.

No comments: