Tuesday, September 24, 2013

1st Grade Home Work

Ally has been so excited to get homework. Starting this week all first  graders will get a homework packet every week. They can do a page a day or work on it as they wish. At “Back to School Night” last week her teachers explained that the homework is not intended to be stressful, its about installing responsibility in the students and helping to develop good habits.

Monday Ally after school Ally wanted to do her homework right away – before even TV!

IMG_4382IMG_4384

Ally has a school desk – it was my dad’s and a matching chair – but she has that set up as a “hair styling station” right now. And she was determined to do her homework, so she pulled her chair over to her new nightstand and used that as a desk. Honestly the nightstand is pretty  big, and her little legs fit inside the shelving so it was a perfectly good desk for her. She spent about 45 minutes working on it all. No questions for me. She did wear some headphones (that were not connected to anything) for part of it. She was so excited and happy.

IMG_4387

As soon as she was done she came running to tell me – so we sat down to look at it together. Here she is with her first completed homework packet.

IMG_4394IMG_4395

Page 1 – draw and picture of where you will do your homework. That is Ally at her table, pink rug, white table with books inside the table, sitting on the chair.

Page 2 – Draw a picture from your favorite book. Title: I Love my New Toy – its and elephant and piggy book and that is piggy with the new toy. It also asks what kind of books you like, and Ally answered “non-fekshon” that would be our budding scientist who likes non-fiction books. I asked her what those were and she told me “books about real things”.

IMG_4396IMG_4397

Page 3- Practice writing her name. She is really working on getting the y down below the line.

Page 4- Math is Everywhere look around you home and draw 4 examples of math. Ally’s examples are Books, Pennies, Flowers and Toys. For a huge laugh, click on the picture and see how Ally spelled pennies I think her teacher will get a big kick out of that one. I explained to Ally  that she actually wrote a different word than pennies and she giggled when I told her what she did write. I said, well, I guess that is “ok for first grade” and that this year she would learn more about spelling.

IMG_4389

Carl is loving Ally’s new bed – every chance he gets he curls up in it!

IMG_4388

This picture has nothing to do with homework – but I was out on Sunday for a while and when I came home this was on the floor in the dining the room. No cheding – and it just makes me laugh that Ally made a sign to tell Becky NO CHEATING – guess she knows Becky’s competitive spirit well!

No comments: