Monday, September 17, 2012

A New Era


Well today I did it. Ally did it. We got to school without a morning babysitter. This is Ally as we left the house. Today I walked Ally to school and dropped her off at the "before school" program. This is a loosely supervised small (free) early morning program. The school sponsors this to encourage working families who need childcare before 845AM to attend the school. The program starts at 730 am. I brought Ally at 745 today and we waited a bit to meet the monitor, Miss Pat, and Ally and I looked at the breakfast offerings - fruit, bagels and Shredded Wheat!!!! Imagine my delight to see  they have Ally's most-eaten food (frosted mini wheats) available! Ally was not interested in eating this morning but I think I can convince her to eat some on other days.
We'll see.
Ally was so brave. Personally I had butterflies all weekend about this new phase of our lives.  I am afraid there is not enough supervision and something "bad" will happen to Ally. I was scared Ally would not eat enough at home before we had to leave, I was scared getting Ally ready for school would be a battle, I was worried about Ally freaking out about the change, I was worried Ally would cry or be sad to have me leave her. I am worried about how this change will affect my work, but my boss is being very understanding and flexible and we're going to see how it all works out.
And I know it will be hard sometimes, but going to early care was Ally's choice and, today went really well.
Ally woke up on her own this morning, watched her latest favorite TV show "My L.ittle Pony" and then was cooperative getting lotioned, dressed, and hair done. I even remembered to give her vitamins and have her brush her teeth. She picked out her new coat to wear, zipped it all the way up with the hood on her head, strapped on her back pack and was ready to go. She held my hand tightly as we walked the 5 short blocks to her school. We tried not to step on any cracks in the sidewalk. We arrived at school, walked to the cafeteria and all was good. Ally has an amazing capacity to "suck it up" about big things like this and she seemed determined to be OK with it. I just hope I can be OK with it too.
I'll pick her up after school today (and everyday) and I'll ask how it went and I am sure she will say "I don't want to  talk about it" which is her standard response so I'll require her to tell me 3 things and we'll chat and if I am lucky I can coax out 4-5 things before she realizes she let slip more than the 3 she agreed to. I know that if she has big thoughts she'll talk about it of her own free will, if she needs to and and when she is ready.
Ally is growing up. I know its what kids do and its wonderful and amazing, but sometimes its hard as her mom to experience it. I just want to protect her and keep her safe forever and ever.

No comments: