Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gingerbread Cookies

These may not be the best pictures we've taken but I wanted to capture the first gingerbread baking at our house ever. (I don't like gingerbread so I never make it, and Becky usually takes pity on me and does not make it either, even though it is one of her favorites). But this year Ally has been enjoying the "Gingerbread Man Story" you know the tale about the Gingerbread man and the little song "Run, Run, as fast as you can. You can't catch me I'm the Gingerbread Man". She has us read it to her every night from her book A Treasury of 3 Year Olds. Every year Great Aunt Louise gives Ally a book of traditional stories, so Ally has A Treasury for 1, 2, 3 & 4 year olds. This is the first year she has really gotten in to them. For a while, the 3 Billy Goats Gruff was a favorite from the 4 year old book, but now its the Gingerbread Man. Personally I think she really likes to sing the chant in a high squeaky voice like Becky does it. But who am I to argue with a 4 year old's preferences in stories?


The other thing these pictures represent is amazing restraint by Becky. To her gingerbread men are plain cookies with traditional white icing outlined on them. But I got involved and starting cutting raisins for the eyes (like the story says) and I even got out m-n-ms for the buttons. Then Ally had to decorate all of the cookies with m-n-ms, she said "they have to have colors". Becky was a good sport and went along with it. But I know she really wanted to do them her way, and not the Palmer way. I really appreciate that she was flexible, and Ally had fun.



When Ally got tired of it, Becky did get a few plain ones made.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Cookies are serious business to us Moyer girls! I am very picky about who I will bake with, not everyone is up to our standards, and we have to start training them young :)

Mama Bear said...

Very very very cute. So much fun at your house! I've missed reading your blog but have not had much time to get on the computer. Many health issues cropped up this year but my resolution is to get back into the blogging world starting either with xmas or New Year's!!! It was terrific getting a chance to sit down and catch up on your blog and that little Ally has grown soooo much!!! It amazes me how the years have flown by! Please say hi to Becky and stay in touch!!!
Rhonda