Saturday, June 18, 2016

3rd Grade Year End Exhibition

Yesterday was the end of the year exhibition for Ally and her third grade classmates. Becky's last day of school was the day before so she was able to attend! That made it even better.
Breakfast before school with 46 other families and then we got to see the students' writing projects. Each student selected a topic he/she was an expert on and wrote an Informational Essay in English on that topic. In Spanish each student wrote about the Rock Cycle. Both projects/units were mostly taught was Ally was at the Pain Clinic, so she has been working on them before school and during other available time at school, with her teachers so she would learn these units and have something to share at the exhibition. Her teachers had small goals for Ally, because she had missed so much of the units. But Ally, over-achiever, that she is (like her moms) really wanted to have completed projects. It came down to the wire and Thursday night she was typing up the last two chapters, her glossary and bio for the English piece at home with me. But it was complete and she was thrilled.
Amazing work:























 My favorite of everything was her Author Notes in Spanish:
She added pictures of animals that look like all of her pets, her favorite sport, and the Guatemala Flag. The pieces says My name is Ally Palmer I was born in Guatemala but I live in Cambridge with my 5 pets; 2 cats, 1 hamster, 1 dog and 1 fish. My favorite sport is gymnastics. I am 9 years old, I like to write and read books. My favorite color is turquoise. My favorite animal is the penguin and my favorite food is ice cream. Very delicious.!!!!
Good Bye

While parents read the books the students changed into their costumes for the Wax Museum. The books were impressive enough, but the wax museum performances were fantastic!

  Ally was great as Emily Dickinson. Each student had a display about a historical figure who either was born in Massachusetts or lived in our state. There was a button at each station and you pushed the button and the character came to life. Then each student gave a 5 minute speech on the character he/she was dressed up as and had researched. It was so much fun! Ally is giving a good impersonation of the reclusive poet Emily Dickinson.


And her tri-fold display:



In action giving her speech:

 Cathal was John Hancock, seen above posing with 2 little brothers of other students.

 Clemens was Benjamin Franklin. I had no idea he was born in Boston, and lived here for all of his childhood. I always think of him as a Philadelphian.
 Maya was Abigail Adams
 Melyna(LouLou) was Anne Sullivan (Helen Keller's teacher) and Alma was Alexander Graham Bell. I learned that the two historical figures were friends in their lifetime so I asked the characters to pose for a picture together.
 Xela was Samuel Adams. There were lots of Adams; John Quincy, John, Abigail and Samuel - I lost track after a while.
 Becky wanted her picture taken with a very impressive Elena dressed as Susan B Anthony.
 Boden was John Adams, Ally as Emily Dickinson and Clemens as Ben Franklin. These two boys have been such good friends to Ally. And this picture is priceless. It was fun talking to parents as well and learning about the student's behind the scene - there are good reasons Ally and these two get along so well. 
And I remembered to ask someone to take a picture of us when the museum closed. Ally could smile now because she was no longer in character, but was still in costume. 

Huge thanks to Aunt Beth for the costume. Seriously - it made such a difference for Ally. She loves it so much she insisted on bringing it home. I'm hoping I can talk her into being Emily Dickinson for Halloween. 

No comments: